Professor Andrew J. Watson FRS
- 1975-78 PhD., University of Reading, Department of Engineering and Cybernetics.
- 1972-75 BSc (Hons 1st) physics, Imperial College, London.
- 2018- Deputy Director, Ocean Thematic Centre of the Integrated Carbon Observing System (ICOS)
- 2013- Professor, College of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Exeter
- 2009- Royal Society Research Professor
- 2008-2015 Member of the Natural Environment Research Council
- 2007-2013 Director, Laboratory for Global Marine and Atmospheric Chemistry, UEA
- 1996-2010 Professor, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich
- 1988-1995 Plymouth Marine Laboratory. Research scientist/project leader
- 1981-1988 Marine Biological Association, Plymouth; Research Scientist
- 1978-1981 Assistant Research Scientist, Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
- 1985, 1987 Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory, Columbia University, New York
- 2000 Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, (Woods Hole, Mass.)
- 2003 Fellow of the Royal Society
- 2004 European Geophysical Union Fridtjof Nansen medal for distinguished research in oceanography
- 2009 Plymouth Marine Sciences medal
- 2013 Honorary Fellow Plymouth Marine Laboratory
FIELDS OF INTEREST: Global biogeochemical cycles, climate, and the interactions between them (in particular, processes influencing atmospheric O2 and CO2). Evolution and present day composition of the atmosphere and oceans. Co-evolution of life and the global environment. Ocean circulation and mixing. Application of tracer techniques to ocean physics and biogeochemical processes.
About 170 peer-reviewed publications from 1978 to present. A co-authored book published in 2011.
Typically 5 PhD students, 4 postdoctoral research scientists, plus technical support. Average new funding about £500k per year research and £500k per year infrastructure over period 1996-2018.
INTERNATIONAL ACTIVITIES, COMMITTEES ETC, LAST 10 YEARS
- Member, European Academies Science Advisory Council (EASAC), Environment Steering Panel, 2020-
- Chair, ESA Earth Explorer 11 proposal evaluation committee, September 2020-
- Deputy director, Ocean thematic centre of the Integrated Carbon Observing system (ICOS), 2017-
- Member, European Space Agency Advisory Committee on Earth Observation, 2018-
- Member, programme advisory committee, Southern Ocean Carbon, Climate Observations and modelling (US NSF) 2016-
- Organizing committee, 8th symposium on gas transfer at water interfaces, May 2021, Plymouth, UK
- Chair, ESA Earth Explorer 10 proposal evaluation committee, March-June 2018
- Bjerknes Climate Centre Science Advisory Committee, Bergen, Norway, 2001 -2012
- European Union Carbo-Ocean integrated project, leader and SSC 2005-2010
- Nansen medal committee, European Geosciences Union, 2010-2012
- Program evaluation committee, Potsdam Institute for Climate Research (2007)
- Member, organizing committee, 7th International Carbon Dioxide Conference (Jena, Germany, 2009)
NATIONAL ACTIVITIES, COMMITTEES ETC, LAST 20 YEARS:
- Member, UK Space Agency Earth Observation Advisory Committee 2018-
- National Oceanography centre association steering committee 2010-2019
- NERC council member 2008-2015
- UK National committee for the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme, 2003-2006.
- Leverhulme Trust, Philip Leverhulme Prize, Earth Sciences Panel, 2001-7
- Geological Society of London Earth systems special interest group committee, 2000-2003
- Royal Society Industrial fellowships committee, 2013-2016.
- Royal Society Sectional committee 5 (Geosciences) 2006 – (Chair 2008/9)
- Royal Society Geo-engineering working group (2008/9)
- Royal Society working group on ocean acidification, (2005/6)
- Royal Society committees:
- Travel grants committee 2004-6
- Research grants committee 2005-8 (Chair 2007/8).
JOURNAL EDITORSHIP LAST 10 YEARS
- Guest editor, Phil Trans Roy Soc A Special issue on Ocean ventilation and deoxygenation in a warming world, 2017.
- Guest editor, Phil Trans. Roy. Soc A. Special issue on Feedbacks on climate in the Earth System, 2015.
- Guest editor, Phil Trans. Roy. Soc A. Special issue on the Southern Ocean, Carbon and Climate, 2013.
- Associate Editor, Marine Chemistry (1990-2011)